Here we are...

A little view of what goes on behind the scenes here at Monkeymaid HQ

Sunday 6 April 2014

Heard of EFT?

It seems a bit odd, but oh well, lets try it!


Have any of you heard of EFT? Emotional Freedom Techniques?  Or Tapping? No neither had I, until I watched a film about it on Food Matters TV .
The film is called The Tapping Solution.

Can I tell you that I was very very sceptical when I started to watch it, the reason being, it looks and sounds crazy, and I am very wary of anything that leans toward the 'spiritual' when it comes to alternative therapies. 
So, as you can imagine, I did not take to this too quickly, but let me say that soon it became very clear that this was a physical and emotional therapy and not anything spiritual.  
It started to make real sense the more I watched...
The easiest way to describe it is, talking to yourself about how you feel, while tapping on pressure points on your body, they are called meridian points if I remember correctly.
Studies at Harvard Medical School have revealed that by stimulating the body’s meridian points – the same spots on your body that are manipulated by acupuncturists – you can significantly reduce activity in a part of your brain called the amygdala. 

And the way I can understand how it works is that you learn to suppress emotion from an early age, and to bury the pain associated with it, and tapping changes the signals to the brain regarding the pain and the emotion surrounding such pains, thus releasing trapped emotion and eliminating the pain connected to that emotion.
'Right, I am going to give it a go', I thought to myself as I sat watching, so, as the people on the video tapped, I started, and within seconds I was crying!!!  I do not find it easy to cry, so this shocked me, I stopped at once, and shoved those emotions down back where they came from, I didn't like that at all, and was so confused as to why they came up, I was not even talking about anything emotional!!
I continued to watch the video and it was explained that this release of emotion was very very common, and we should not bury them, as this is what we have done for too long, which has resulted in pains in our bodies.
So I decided to give it another go, and sure enough, within seconds I was crying again, and I mean really crying, but I continued, tapping and talking it out to myself.
I started to feel things from my past that I had buried, things that I hated to talk about, even think about, but I was determined to carry this thing on to see what happened.
Now at this point can I just stop and tell you that I am a very strong person, and to do this is so foreign to me, I have always tended to fight through emotion and push ahead regardless of pain, I have always thought that you should just deal with it, and by deal with it, I mean bury it and move on.  Well, it seems that by doing so I have caused myself a lot of grief which has lead to illness.
I continue..
I tapped and talked about ONE thing that has upset me for years from my past, one moment that happened that hurt me, and I tapped it out.
It actually made me felt better, not only physically, but emotionally too, a kind of freshness I cant really explain, but I felt lighter somehow.
Well, I don't know if it was working or it was just psychological, but I felt better, and I am going to do more, 
That was the first time I had done it, and being a sceptic, I am not going to jump up and be an advocate for tapping, I am just going to do it again and again and see what happens.
I wanted to share it with you because it is part of my progress toward getting to grips with loving myself.
I hope you give it a go, or at least look at some of the videos on YouTube or on The Tapping Solutions web page. Make up your own mind and let me know what happened.
I will of course be letting you know my progress as promised in my previous blog.
Hope you enjoyed reading this, and I truly hope it helps you in some way.
Keep in touch 
xx

No comments: