Here we are...

A little view of what goes on behind the scenes here at Monkeymaid HQ

Sunday 9 October 2016

Raw Chocolate Coated Ginger Biscuit bites.

No more guilty snacking...



So, recently I started (again) to eat a lot healthier, I am trying to eat fully raw, as I feel that I am in need of a detox.

But I knew that I would miss snacks like chocolate, and biscuits (cookies US).  So I had a look around the raw food community to try to find something that would hit the chocolate 'Hobnobs' spot!

I didn't find anything that seemed to tease my taste buds, so I thought, 'I can make something myself'.
Here is what I came up with, and let me tell you, they are NOT going to last long in this house, my kids have tried them, and love them.

Ingredients:

Filling:
2/3 Cup of Oats
2/3 Cup of Dessicated Coconut
8 Dried Pitted Dates, or Medjool Dates (approx)
1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Teaspoon Macca Powder (not essential, I just like to add it to snacks for a little more goodness)
1-2 Teaspoons Pure Maple Syrup
Pinch of Sea/Pink Himalayan Salt
1 Inch Chunk of Fresh Ginger, (skinned and finely chopped)
1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger.

Chocolate Coating:
1 Cup Raw Cacao Butter (if you grate it, it melts quicker)
Pinch of Sea/Pink Himalayan Salt
2 Tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup
2/3 Cup of Raw Cacao Powder.

Prepare a tray, cover with either baking paper or a silicon mat.

Method:
Add all of the FILLING ingredients EXCEPT the Maple Syrup, to a food processor, mix until it is all finely chopped and blended, like a crumble, now try to bind a small amount in your fingertips, if it holds well you will not need to add the Maple Syrup, if it is a bit loose, slowly add a teaspoon of syrup at a time until the mixture starts to bind well.
Now for a messy part..... take a teaspoon full of the mixture at a time in your hands and roll it into balls until all of the mixture is done.
Place them onto your baking paper/silicone mat.
Refrigerate them while you make the chocolate coating.

For the Chocolate Coating:
Put warm/hot (but not boiling) water into a large bowl or pan, about 1/3 of the bowl.  Now take the Raw Cacao Butter and place it into ANOTHER smaller bowl or jug, DO NOT PUT THE CACAO BUTTER INTO THE WATER.
Now, as you would use a Bain Marie, melt the cacao butter by placing its bowl into the warm water, as the smaller bowl slowly heats up, it will melt the butter. Stir it until all lumps have gone, and you have a liquid.
Now add the Sea/Pink Himalayan Salt, the Maple Syrup and the Raw Cacao Powder.  Stir it until it is smooth and free of lumps.

Another messy part.... take the biscuit balls out of the refrigerator and dip each one into the melted chocolate coating, cover each ball, waiting for the excess chocolate coating to drip off before placing it back onto your baking/silicone sheet.
Once each ball is covered, place them back into the refrigerator for about 1 hour to set.  
Once they have set, remove them from the sheet, and store in a container in the refrigerator for up to a week (pffft! lets be realistic here)

They wont last that long in our fridge, while I have been sitting here writing my blog, they have been demolished by the kids!!   I would hide some if I were you :D

You can omit the ginger if you prefer,  I made some plain ones, they are just as yummy.   You could get adventurous and add all sorts of things, blueberries, cherries, or even add cacao powder to make a double choc version.  The possibilities are endless.

Let me know how you get on, and if you do make any other flavours, I'd love to hear about them.

I hope you enjoy your snacks, it is so good to find food that tastes amazing, and is still healthy.

Please share this recipe with your friends and family, or even better, make them some to enjoy straight away.

No comments: